SC - Re: [spca-wascaerfrig] Mongolian hot pot for a meal?

Wed Apr 12 09:40:07 PDT 2000

I think that the most interesting disaster waiting to happen was last year
when I was asked to help with a neighboring groups's Midwinter feast.  The
fella doing the autocrating was doing it because he had mouthed off once too
often about how the event was run, and none of the cooks would touch him with
a ten foot pole.  He inlisted the help of his housemates, two moderately
nubile ladies, one almost divorced and one single.  The tale starts when the
single one decides to date the soon to be ex husband of the other roommate.
Whallaa, no cooks.  The autocrat was scrambling for someone to do the feast,
and asked me.  Well, I just couldn't say no.  There was to be no cooking on
site, but we could warm up.

After a week, we arrived at a menu (not particularly period, but peri oid).
His one request was that he get to do his favorite soup, Carrot Ginger.

The day of the feast, I arrived to an interesting set up in the kitchen, got
it straightened out, and assessed the damage.  The autocrat pointed out that
the soup he made was in a plastic container in the fridge, duct taped shut,
and had  been in cold storage since he finished making it about 24 hours
before.

The time arrived to heat up the soup.  I untaped the green tucker tote, and
took off the lid.  The soup had "separated", and there was a slight pooch in
the middle, with what initially appeared to be frost flowers on the top.  The
smell was less than appetizing.  The husband of my student was in the kitchen
at the time, and remarked that number one, if I served it people would think
I made it, and number two, shouldn't I taste it.  I tasted it.  It took a
long time to scrape that stuff off my tongue.  When I dabbed the tip of the
spoon in the soup, the center erupted into the most interesting display of
green moldspore I had wittnessed.  Upon closer inspection, the black spices
were discovered to be black animal hair.

Moral of the story.  Never allow someone who has never seen the inside of a
kitchen before to cook.

He used an old plastic tote he found in his spare room, where the dogs and
cats slept.  Did not wash them out, and then stored the soup in his garage
for a day (or so).  Gee, it was cooler there.....

Aldyth