SC - Chopping onions

Liam Fisher macdairi at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 12 19:49:37 PDT 2000

<< IIRC, the original document is in Latin and kohlrabi may be the
translator's interpretation >>

The Latin text has "ravacaulis", acc. pl. "ravacaules":
"De herbis hortulanis quas repperimus: (...) ravacaules, (...)"
(Capitularia regum Francorum. Denuo ed. A. Boretius. T. primus. Hannover
1883, 255.5).

They are also mentioned in the Capitulare de villis (ca. 800):
"Volumus quod in horto omnes herbas habeant: ... ravacaulos ..."
(Capitula regum Francorum, ed. Boretius 1883, p. 90.).
'We order that they have all (sorts of) herbs/plants in the garden: ...
kohlrabi ...'.

I did not find the word in my only medium sized dictionaries, but at
least a note in the edition says that _ravacaulis_ is kohlrabi.

Thomas