SC - Judaism

Jeff Gedney JGedney at dictaphone.com
Thu Apr 13 13:31:51 PDT 2000

These two Web sites have good information about yeast for ciders:

http://sun1.bham.ac.uk/GraftonG/cider/homepage.htm
http://www.lallemand.com/brew/InFerment/Articles/Article_Cider.html

This is a big subject, and a lot depends on personal preference - there is
no "best" yeast for cider, it depends on the type of cider you want.

For example, a lot of people use Champagne yeast; it works great and is
very robust, gives very consistent results.  But it will invariably produce
a completely dry cider, because the yeast will consume very last molecule
of sugar.  Some people don't like that, and use a weaker yeast, like an ale
yeast.  But some people don't like the flavours produced by ale yeasts, so...

Good Luck!
Colin