SC - An Elderly Cookbook.- An Adventure in Recent History ;-)->"Southern...

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Fri Apr 14 18:44:25 PDT 2000

In a message dated 4/13/00 5:39:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
owner-sca-cooks at ansteorra.org writes:

> I am researching the origins of verjus and other "common" (in the
>  middle ages) French foods. The Charlemagne info is interesting for it's
>  after Anthimus but before Enseignements, which is the next document I
>  have in French timeperiod. >>
>
>  An interesting project! Can you tell us (me) more about it? Recently, I
>  met someone, who wrote a book on Apicius, and he was interested in a
>  similar question: when and where are the Apician ingredients used in
>  _later_ times. E.g., he mentioned a chronicle saying that ship loads
>  with garum came to Marseille from the North African garum industries.
>  (Don't remember the source nor the century.)
>
>  Did you use "La bataille de caresme et de charnage" too? Somewhat
>  earlier than the Enseignements; not a recipe book, true, but a poetic
>  debate between lent and the time of non-lent (?), where many kinds of
>  food stuff are mentioned.
>
>  And did you or anybody else see the Enseignements-edition of Carole
>  Lambert in print? (How) Does it differ from the 1933 Lozinski edition?
>
>  Thomas

I have the Lozinski edition and using only weak French I have read it,
although I have not translated it so couldn't give you a comparison. I have a
friend who is working on translating it to English, when its done and I 've
had time to play with it, I'll make it available to everyone. I was not aware
of the Lambert edition, I'll have to check that out.

As for the earlier work you mention, "La bataille de caresme et de charnage",
I think I have that (after a frantic look, I can't find it :( but I have not
been able to work with it at all anyhow. I have gathered alot of research
material that I need to glean the meaty parts and put them together with the
other work I've done. The work really isn't ready to be openly reviewed, it's
very rough, sometimes just the theory in print, working out what I'm doing as
I add more research to it. I could use your opinion though.

Hauviette