SC - Fw: [Trimaris] Meat in a can (no, it's not aboutlistmeat)

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Sat Apr 15 20:04:35 PDT 2000

Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 08:39:40 -0400
From: margali <margali at 99main.com>
Subject: Re: SC - Question on kosher

Well, in a 2 week campsite, with anywhere from 15 to 50 eating, to me
ease of cleanup is important. I find the atmosphere in the conversation
and the fod, not in the conveying it to the mouth. Maybe I am wierd, but
providing water in a relatively small area for 50 people to rinse their
personal feastgear a bit much. If it were a weekend camp, I would be
using my feastgear. Logistics for more than 10 people puts a whole new
spin on things.

- ---
people carry their own feast gear with them to feast.  I would think one would
expect that they would carry their own feast gear with them when visiting
another camp for dinner.
  If 50 people need to clean their dishes, and SPCA has 20, and one assumes a
certain amount of forgetfulness or lack of feast gear, no more than 30 sets of
the dirty dishes should have been coming from SPCA in the first place.  30 is
still a lot of people's worth of dishes, and a lot of planning's worth of
effort.
  Maybe an hour of dishwashing for one person, 30 minutes for 2 persons.  Or 10
minute shifts for 5 or 10 persons.  It should be possible.
- ---

Besides, last year in camp we had pretty much standard mundane
eatingwares, and wuite the assortment of modern mugs, beer cans and the
like.

- ---
  As for mundane eating wares and modern dishes, there is a difference between
picnic dishes and real dishes.  Even if it is mundane, there is a difference
between non period, obviously non period, glaringly obviously non period, and
phenomenally obviouslly non period.  Plasticware and paper plates fall into the
final category.
  Atmosphere matters.  You put garnishes on your dishes, don't you?  Arrange the
food on the platter so that it is not only gastronomically pleasing but
aesthetically pleasing as well, don't you?  If so why would you not only produce
unnecassry garbage but damage the atmosphere of gourmet food by serving it on
paper plates?
- ---

...I find the atmosphere in the conversation
and the fod, not in the conveying it to the mouth....

- ---
If my experiences hold true one does not get a medieval atmosphere from the
conversation.  I don't recall a single meal last Pennsic where the majority of
the conversation was even medievaloid.  One gets the atmosphere of people having
fun from the conversation.  One gets the atmosphere of medieval from the
surroundings.
- ---

With the use of the fibre feastgear, it is a renewable resource and
the only nonrecyclable[at least at pennsic] would be the plastic
utensils.

- ---
Last year, one of the goodies Mike and I picked up at the Korean Korner were a
dozen pairs of stainless steel chopsticks.  I don't recall a single in camp meal
that wasn't finger food or eaten with these.  Wiping them with a dry paper towel
was generally more than sufficient to clean them.  These are far better than
plastic utensils, reusable, and fairly cheap.
- ---