SC - Teacups (was re: An Elderly Cookbook)

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Sun Apr 16 14:58:56 PDT 2000

In a message dated 4/16/00 4:59:21 AM Pacific Daylight Time, troy at asan.com
writes:

> Um, not to make a big thing out of this, but the above (see the last two
>  sentences) illustrates _exactly_ the point of the people who have said
>  that while following a recipe as closely as possible gives us a fighting
>  chance of having accurately "period" food, changing a modern recipe to
>  make it seem more "period" introduces variables whose propriety/accuracy
>  within the confines of the dish we can't know.
>
>  Not intended as a criticism of the gentles referenced above, or of their
>  views; it just made for a convenient illustration. The fig recipe looks
>  lovely, and it seems to have something in common with medieval recipes.
>  But that could, of course, be purely coincidental: so does a cheeseburger.

Not actually.  Provided we know that our "changes" are/ were commonly
available (all-spice being an obvious example of an out-of-period item), and
the ingredients were common in the area we are attempting to study, then we
can feel free to make them without compromising the medieval authenticity of
the dish.

For example:  Libro della cucina del secolo (pg 81) - In the discussion of
the use of saffron for various items, the author strictly advises against the
use of saffron for river fowl, but does "certainly" state that "here, a good
cook can use common sense and adapt to the local circumstances."  To me, this
means that making changes to a recipe to suit ones taste was more than a
common practice, it was almost universal.

I have stated before that these kind of changes took place all over medieval
Europe, and indeed that statement is backed up in "documentable" fact.  If
you are trying to re-create a particular recipe, then, no, substitutions
would not be acceptable, because you are then altering THAT recipe.  But to
take a recipe and alter it to suit your taste and the tastes of your guests
is VERY "period".

Just make sure that your research is sound, and  your substitutions reflect
the common culinary practices of the day (and place), and make all the
substitutions you wish.  But, to save anyone from getting in a huff over
particulars, state at the outset that the dish is "a period alteration of
such-and-such a dish".

Such a strange fascination, as I wallow in waste
That such a trivial victory could put a smile on your face.
                                        - Mark Burgess