SC - poached figs in spiced honey syrup

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Apr 16 18:59:33 PDT 2000

Ras said:
> After reading the extant menus that we have access to in the modern world, II
> offer the opinion that water is not listed as a feast beverage and therefore
> is inappropriate given the material we have with which to make an opinion.

But the feasts we have records of were fancy meals and often meant to
show wealth and impress guests. In that case, even if you drank water
everyday, why would you serve it at a feast? And if you served it at
a feast, why would it be on the menu? How many modern resturants list
regular, non-bottled water on their menu?

IMHO, our evidence for what we serve at feasts is not limited to
those items we have feast menus for. While the feast menus and recipe
books may be the most obvious and the easiest surest evidence we have,
there is no reason to be limited to them.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net