SC - Scrapple-Notes

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sun Apr 16 20:43:51 PDT 2000

In a message dated 4/16/00 3:58:52 AM Eastern Daylight Time, stefan at texas.net
writes:

<< tell me a complete period feast of 3 removes
 > with at least 2 courses per remove that
 >  would not have any dishes objectionable to any vegan person. >>

Such a feast would not be documentable to period but all the dishes in such a
feast could be.

Vegan as a term relating to period practices is an anachronism. Certainly
there were holy men and women that restricted there intake of food to very
specific items but 'vegetarianism' as we now think of the term most certainly
was neither wide spread nor is there any evidence, SFAIK, outside specific
religious references to it's use among nobility. A vegetarian in the middle
ages would most certainly have eaten fish and other foods considered to be
'fish.' We have example menus where suggested fish dishes are listed for
those who don't eat meat. I think they are located in Le Managier or Chiquart.

Ras