SC - Table manners

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Sun Apr 16 23:10:17 PDT 2000

>The question was raised:  how to do a vegan feast without getting
>complaints from the various permutations of vegetarians?
>
>That way lies madness.  Do your best at whatever you are trying to do.
>There will always be complaints.  (We've had people complain about
>feasts who weren't even at the events!)  Ignore all complaints except the
>valid ones.  I.E.  if someone waits until 30 minutes before feast to
>bring
>you a laundry list of "allergies", this is not a valid complaint.  Now if
>the queen said she's violently allergic to mushrooms 3 months before the
>event and you serve beef with mushroom sauce in the first remove and
>mushroom quiche in the second, that's a valid complaint.  (And you
>need to work on your clerical skills.)

I'm in total agreement here.  There is no point in trying to prepare a
feast at which EVERYONE is happy.  There will always be someone who will
look for something to complain about in a feast (there was too much of
this, not enough of that.  They're allergic to something that they forgot
to tell about.)
If they failed to give the requirements when they booked, or a useful time
before they came, then it's tough bikkies for them.  On;y listen for a
valid complaint, such as nothing suitable for someone who told you about an
allergy in plenty of time.  Otherwise you'll run yourself ragged and
recieve just as many complaints as you did to begin with.
- -Katerine