SC - Trimarian Haggis

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Mon Apr 17 12:04:33 PDT 2000

    Please forgive me, but I find such affectations to be amusing at best,
and extremely annoying at worst. There are people whose diets preclude
animal products, but I strongly suspect the  total number of these people on
the whole bloody continent wouldn't fill a middle school auditorium.
    I have, however, found that there are a large number of ostentatiously
'politically correct' people (and they ALL wear silver pentagrams - a hint
for anyone looking for a topic for their doctoral thesis - does new age
theology induce allergies? or is it just wearing silver pentagrams that does
it?) who will subject you to a half hour diatribe on the topic du jour
(whatever appeared in last months issue of Mother Jones) if you suggest
serving it to them. I'm also sick unto death of people using 'allergies' as
an excuse for 'I don't want to eat that'.
    If they have an ethical / moral problem with eating animal products or
byproducts, I suggest they READ the ingredients list on their food. If they
actually do so, they'll find that unless you move out to the commune and
grow your own food, It's IMPOSSIBLE to escape animal fats, partially
hydrogynated oils, tuna tainted dolphin, or whatever it is they're all
haired up about this week.
    When I do a feast, I'm less than concerned about ANYONE'S political /
social / moral sensitivity. All I want to do is to put out a really good
meal (under budget). If anyone has a legitimate health concern, I'll work
with them, and do what I can to accommodate them. But it really irks me when
someone promotes their political agenda under the guise of their dietary
constraints. Grrr . . .

    Sieggy (who got kvetched at by one of the Enlightened while at the BoD
meeting. which was as exciting as watching butter melt)(and yes, she was
wearing a silver pentagram)