SC - Scrapple-Recipe-OOP

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Apr 17 20:30:41 PDT 2000

Hi Ilia -

Interesting to see this thread come up - being a "blind as bat"
no-night-vision type of person I'd be interested in hearing how these type
of oil lamps work  (since I'm looking to obtain something similar)

(background info - I was the main cook for my local Shire's camp at Rowany
Festival (Australian version of Pennsic but much, much smaller :-p) last
year.  The camp organiser did not wish to have any "modern intrusive
lighting (MIL)" anywhere in the camp (even though we weren't part of Period
encampment, or anywhere near them)  Unfortunately, her concept of "MIL"
included kerosene lamps (proferred option was tea-light candles - the
eeeny-weeny ones).  Since I don't hold with cooking blindly the rule very
quickly became - we eat at sundown!  - Mind you - it was amusing to see the
rostered washing-up team try to work by mini candlelight (well - right up
until the first morning when I discovered  what sort of a "hit and miss"
affair it had been....)

Mari

Subject: SC - Lighting for cooking and camp

Ilia wrote:
     I have been looking around at various ways to do lighting.
Particularly,
lighting for cooking. I could bring lots of candles, but I would prefer to
get
something that puts out a bit more light. One of the places that I have been
looking at is Lehmans (http://www.lehmans.com/). They have some olive oil
lamps
that, while not period, look like they would provide fairly good light.
     Has anyone had experience with these? Do the indeed put out a good
amount
of light? Is there a better inexpensive source of lighting?