SC - Scrapple-Recipe-OOP

Tara Sersen tsersen at nni.com
Tue Apr 18 03:10:00 PDT 2000

This last feast I just did, I had one person inquire early on what was
in the courses (she eats no flesh or dairy). She was very gracious (I
got the feeling she was quite new to the SCA and a romantic guest of a
long-timer) and undemanding, letting me know what she couldn't/chose not
to eat only so that I could advise her want to avoid. I later checked
with her, and she assured me she got enough to eat from the dishes she
could.

>From one of my kitchen crew, I heard about the "Pepper Lady," who did
not make an appearance at this feast. Apparently, she shows up a few
hours before a feast, insisting on a detailed and _verbal_ description
of ingredients, grousing on those she can't eat. She is so named from
her avoidance of pepper. She also won't let her husband eat the foods
she can't.

I had one other person inquire as to the menu/ingredients, and I just
directed them to the posted menu posted at the kitchen door two feet to
their right. Two others stuck their head in a few hours before the
feast, wanting to know if the feast was going to be served on time. At
first, I found this an odd question.

Our sitting Princess is seriously allergic to seafood. She is also a
cook. She makes no bans on seafood at any feast, only that she is made
aware of it's presence so that she can safely avoid it. This last feast
of mine had a salmon on the original draft of the menu, but it was later
dropped. She was a little disappointed that we ran out of Losyns. A
favourite of hers. I promised her more for Egil's next month.

Some time before the feast, I posted the menu and general description
(with sources for the culinary minded) to the regional email list.
Partly, this was to encourage people with aversions and allergies to
contact me early. No-one did, and aside from the one above mentioned
lady, no one did at the feast itself.

Seumas