SC - gays-an apology (and a rant)

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Tue Apr 18 06:24:25 PDT 2000

Thank you, sir.  I'd read these things, and was just appalled but uncertain as to
how to respond, or even if I should dignify the thread thusly.  What's just as
inappropriate as the slang terms is the implicit assumption that "we all
understand that making fun of minority groups is just in good fun."
Gay/lesbian/bi/transgendered people deserve the same respect and courtesy
accorded to everyone else.
I am not gay, but have gotten the same kind of s**t (ha, ha, isn't it funny) for
my physical appearance all my life.  Gay jokes, fat jokes, religion-slamming
jokes are endemic in this (western) culture, and I, for one, am _tired_ of it.
Tired of the cartoons, tired of the assumptions, tired of being spat on and
beaten.  Tired.
- --Maire, who's climbing off her soap box now, and going to get ready for work
(sorry for the rant, but this one really pushes buttons)