SC - gays-an apology (and a rant)

Lee-Gwen Booth piglet006 at globalfreeway.com.au
Tue Apr 18 13:18:11 PDT 2000

Unto to the Gathered Cooks, and particularly Lord Ras, does Gwynydd send
Greetings and the Following:

Actually, as one of the gay people on this list, I have to say that I
disagree with you Ras.  I have seen nothing offensive on this list about
homosexuality.  I personally do not have any problem with the words "queer",
or "queen" - depending on the context, obviously!  "Fag" causes me a little
more trouble, but again, context is all - and I know of a number of gay
groups who have adopted the word for themselves.  Part of that is being
seriously "in your face" to the straight majority (particularly, I suspect,
the PC ones - but that is just a theory of mine!) and part of it is to do
with reclaiming words.

The meal that I mentioned (oh, and I do apologise - I had not actually
intended to send that to the list because it is so seriously out of period -
I am still getting used to the fact that my version of Outlook Express
doesn't know who the sender of any given message is.  Now that I have
figured that out, it should not happen again) was something I had discussed
with a number of gay friends (a few of whom are undeniably and unashamedly
queens!).  We were joking around - having fun, and that is what I thought
Sieggy was doing with his "Faggis".  I thought the idea was hilarious and so
did my Lady.

Gwynydd of Culloden