SC - was meat in a can, now siggys hair

bill mayfield wpmay at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 18 17:46:17 PDT 2000

Hi Anne-Marie,

Thank you for your response!

I am still fairly new to the SCA, and am still working things out, but we
haven't managed to eat before dark yet. And I fear that it may get worse now,
as I have just been authorized, and so will be fighting at events, and so
have less time to get things done.

Thanks again!

Ilia

In a message dated 4/18/00 3:03:07 AM Eastern Daylight Time, acrouss at gte.net
writes:

> hey all from Anne-Marie
>
>  on the subject of lighting in camp...
>
>  I think its important to remember that medieval people didnt have this
>  problem. They would have guaged their day, especially when on the road, by
>  where the sun was.
>
>  when I do my medieval encampment, we eat dinner and try to finish the
>  dishes before dark (of course its helped by the fact that in full summer
>  its light till 10pm or so up here). If we want to sit up and play games, or
>  have to finish that one more pot even though its dark out, we use some
>  candle lanterns hung over the wash table/game table. In my tent I use
>  pillar candles in a broken 15th century balustre mug (just like in the MOL
>  book :)). we also have a candle chandalier hung in our dining tent.
>
>  But we always remind ourselves that to extend the day like this is not
>  really medieval....
>  (though I fully realize that not everyone chooses to play the way we do!
:))