SC - Carrots and Turnips-Period?

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Apr 18 19:26:33 PDT 2000

In a message dated 4/18/00 6:42:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com writes:

<< If you don't specify the size, I would expect the
 lord to get the smallest of the available eggs.

 Comments? >>

Where do you come up with these 'suppositions? Not enough food? Insects are
everywhere and were more numerous in the middle ages than now. Smallest eggs
to the Lord? On what basis do you make this assumption?

We have discussed the egg issue extensively but little real evidence has been
produced that would indicate anything other than a variety of sizes from a a
variety of breeds whose natural food was supplemented with grain.

I am most interested in your reasoning that they would have been underfed.
Good production rests on proper feeding.

I suspect the reason for most are your suppositions are based on little
understanding of what it means to live in an agricultural society instead on
a technological society. Considering that the livelihood of an agricultural
society by definition depends on agriculture to survive, the supposition that
such a society was 'poor' or that their animals and crops were allowed to be
underfed and neglected is an error.

Just as modern news stories that children are starving in Ethiopia does not
mean modern society starves its children or that crop failures are world wide
phenomenon encompassing all of modern peoples, medieval tales of Plague and
crop failure are restricted to specific times and places. Their existence
does not mean all of the time for all of the people or even for a majority of
the people for that matter.

Ras