SC - Happy Easter! OT

Black Jade Black_Jade at bigpond.com
Tue Apr 18 21:02:27 PDT 2000

 -Poster: <Elysant at aol.com>

Then my lord Ras said:

>Sounds similar to 'Bubble and Squeak' using turnips instead of cabbage and
>carrots instead of potatoes......British in origin.

>Tasty but not period, so far as I know.

This also sounds like a group of traditional dishes we have in Wales, one of
which is called, in the South, "Potch Erfyn" (It's mashed potatoes and swedes
(which are "Swedish" turnips) plus butter, pepper, and salt).

In the North of Wales there are also several versions of this kind of dish,
and there they call call it "Stwns".

"Stwns pys" is potatoes and peas mashed together, (just like "Bubble and
Squeak" but without the cabbage), "Stwns Ffa" is potatoes and broad beans
mashed together, and "Stwns Rwdan a Iau" is liver, onions, swedes, and
potatoes mashed together once cooked.  Apparently in the "old days" a
favourite dish was "stwns" with buttermilk poured over it. :-)

Please note that these are all traditional Welsh dishes.  I do not have any
documentation of them or of this type of dish being period.

I do remember that Nanna said there is a similar dish in Iceland too - and
that one is, I believe, mashed turnips.

Elysant