SC - RE: SC Scrapple Recipe OOP

RANDALL DIAMOND ringofkings at mindspring.com
Wed Apr 19 05:22:11 PDT 2000

- -Poster: <Elysant at aol.com>

Lucretzia wrote:
> Actually, one of the British egg firms has recently started this up again.
> Can't remember who however, as I usually buy eggs from my local butcher
> rather than the supermarket. Rather cute though...

Good marketing, I guess,  by whichever supermarket has received permission to
do that!  The stamp is nostalgic, as well as denoting quality.

When I was growing up in a village in Wales though, we didn't have a local
supermarket and the lion and crown stamp on the eggs seemed to have been a
national thing if I remember rightly - stamped on eggs that passed certain
requirements by the Ministry of Agriculture or whoever it is regulates such
things.

As far as I recall - the lion stamp seems to have been used in a similar way
to how one is supposedly given an instant expectation of quality of other
British food products by the presence and endorsing quality of the full Royal
Crest appearing somewhere on the box or packaging.

Elysant