SC - Snow in June OT

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Wed Apr 19 06:47:01 PDT 2000

For a vegetarian dish of the soup/stew persuasion, try this, recaptured from
a previous post and avaialable in the Florilegium (I think):

Brodo of red chickpeas. To make eight platefuls: take a libra and a half (1
libra = about 10 1/2 oz. (300 g.)) of chickpeas and wash them in hot water,
drain them, the put them in a pot in which they will be cooked. Add half an
oncia (1 oncia = about 1 oz. (30 g.)) of flower (of wheat), a little good
oil, a little salt and about 20 crushed peppercorns and a little ground
cinnamon, then thoroughly mix all these things together with your hands.
Then add three measures of water, a little sage, rosemary and parsley roots.

Boil until it is reduced to the quantity of eight platefuls. And when they
are nearly cooked pour in a little oil. And if you prepare this soup for
invalids, add neither oil nor spices.

I didn't have red chickpeas, so I substituted dried yellow. The soup was to
feed 24, so I cleaned and soaked 4 cups of chickpeas overnight. Should I
prepare this again, I'll use 5 cups of chickpeas per 24 people.

I crushed about 25 peppercorns and stirred them, about 4 tablespoons of
flour, and 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon into a 1/4 cup of olive oil. I
drained the chickpeas and mixed them and the spiced oil in a large pot. I
covered the chickpeas with water and brought it to a boil. A gray-brown
scum formed on the surface and was skimmed off. I had to add more pepper in
the cooking, so if I make this quatity again, I'll start with about 40
peppercorns. The heat was set set to low and the soup simmered for about
two hours.

I added a teaspoon of rubbed sage, a teaspoon of rosemary needles crushed
into the pot and 3 tablespoons of fresh parsley (no root available). Toward
the end of the cooking I added about a teaspoon and a half of salt for
seasoning.

The soup is rich and flavorful. Everyone at the dinner tried it and the
majority found it to be excellent. It reheats well. I would be tempted to
use this recipe at a feast. As I prepared it, the recipe makes just under a
gallon or one cup of soup per person. Using 5 cups of chickpeas per 24
people insures that everyone will get fed without having to scrape the
bottom of the pot.

 Does anyone out