SC - reasonably safe water at Pennsic

Jeff Gedney JGedney at dictaphone.com
Wed Apr 19 07:13:12 PDT 2000

Don't know why you folks are panicking about the water at Pennsic, and the
port-a-castle two step. I've been going to Pennsic since 22, and have never
had any digestion problems which could be attributed to the water- mine have
all been a quick trip the the bathroom first thing in the morning following
an overindulgence in beer the night before.

I'm also a Chirurgeon, since Pennsic XXV, and I can tell you right now I'd
know if there had been any epidemics of diarhea- it's one of those things,
that if nothing else, would get mentioned in our start-of-shift meetings,
just as those black flies were mentioned which hit and bit as hard as a bee,
but weren't actually causing allergic reactions in those allergic to bee
venom.

Now, granted I'm known to drink a lot of beer, but I drink water, Pennsic
water, all through my daily shifts at Pennsic. If the water was bad, it
would hit me, trust me.

If you're that worried about viruses and bacteria, my suggestion would be to
wash your hands frequently with an anti-bacterial soap, in hot water, and
keep your dishes and eating and cooking utensils clean, as well as your
person. Most of these various bugs, when they do transfer around, transfer
from person to person, not through the Pennsic water, and due to the cold
water showers, many people are not as cleanly at Pennsic as they would be at
home.

I do agree, however, that given a choice I drink bottled water or water I
bring from home, simply because it tastes better.

Please, folks, don't start trying to panic everyone over Pennsic water. I
still remember all the hoopla started on this and other Lists about last
year's great Pennsic Drought- which for those who weren't there, didn't
occur either.

Phlip

Nolo disputare, volo somniare et contendere, et iterum somniare.

phlip at morganco.net

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig
Southeastern Ohio

"All things are poisons.  It is simply the dose that distinguishes between a
poison and a remedy." -Paracelsus

"Oats -- a grain which in England sustains the horses, and in
Scotland, the men." -- Johnson

"It was pleasant to me to find that 'oats,' the 'food of horses,' were
so much used as the food of the people in Johnson's own town." --
Boswell

"And where will you find such horses, and such men?" -- Anonymous