SC - Re: kitchen envy

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Wed Apr 19 07:39:16 PDT 2000

> It is my understanding, now, that the majority of
> this List requires "documentation" before they will entertain such a "far
> fetched" idea, and I can see why.  After reviewing my previous posts, I
> realize that I offered little, if any, actual documentation. I will correct
> this.  Please be patient, as I am obviously taking "the road less travelled
> by."  I' will, of course, expect heated (but not malevolent) discussion with
> each post.
>
> Balthazar of Blackmoor

Actually you aren't taking a "road less travelled". We love alternate spicing
and substitutions. It's just that it is rare for a recipe to state these
alternatives.
If you have documentation on substitutions we would love to see them. And
we also make substitutions not mentioned. Everybody's poudre forte is different.

We will often substitute beef for veal or add ginger and pepper if we don't have

cubebs. The only argument was in making broad changes simply based on what
you, as a cook, like. We need to figure out what the Medieval Cook liked.

If you find recipes that say "Substitute X for Y" then please post them! It
would
help all of our knowledge.

Yers,

Gunthar