SC - Carrots and Turnips-Period?

Wed Apr 19 08:47:57 PDT 2000

Ironically, I did get these from a local ME store.  Basically the only one
in the area so I figured they would have a good turnover - guess I was
wrong.  I hadn't really thought about them being old.  Probably what it was.
Thanks!!

Mercedes

- -----Original Message-----
From: owner-sca-cooks at ansteorra.org
[mailto:owner-sca-cooks at ansteorra.org]On Behalf Of Alderton, Philippa
Sent: Wednesday, April 19, 2000 10:09 AM
To: sca-cooks at ansteorra.org
Subject: Re: SC - Lamb recipe and vegetable stew recipe request

Mercedes skrev:

>I used dried chickpeas at a feast I did a couple years ago.  They never
completely softened up and I soaked them overnight and then cooked them for
several hours.  I've been reluctant to use them ever since. <

I ran into the same problem a few years ago with black beans- I boiled them
off and on for almost a week before they were soft enough to eat. It turned
out that they were from a very old batch, and they'd just dried far more
than we're used to dealing with from the store. I suspect this might be what
had happened to your chick peas, as I've had it happen to a lesser degree
with other dried beans.

The trouble with moderately exotic dried beans is that their shelf life is
indefinite, and if you combine very slow rotation of stock, with an impulse
buy, where you get them and keep them around for an extended period of time,
looking for a recipe, you'll get that extra drying problem.

My suggestion would be to try another package from a store where you're
reasonably sure that they have a good turnover- either a ME store, or a
chain in an area where you have either a lot of Mediterranean ethnic groups
or upscale Yuppie types, and see how they work. Another alternative is to
buy the canned variety- just keep in mind, that they're already well-salted,
and you don't need to add more.

Phlip

Nolo disputare, volo somniare et contendere, et iterum somniare.

phlip at morganco.net

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig
Southeastern Ohio

"All things are poisons.  It is simply the dose that distinguishes between a
poison and a remedy." -Paracelsus

"Oats -- a grain which in England sustains the horses, and in
Scotland, the men." -- Johnson

"It was pleasant to me to find that 'oats,' the 'food of horses,' were
so much used as the food of the people in Johnson's own town." --
Boswell

"And where will you find such horses, and such men?" -- Anonymous