SC - reasonably safe water at Pennsic

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Wed Apr 19 10:37:02 PDT 2000

Kiri wrote:

>I did have something similar for the Coronation feast I cooked last
>fall, but the
>feast hall only accommodated about 200...so we were really limited
>as to how many
>could eat on board.

Something similar will happen at Middle Kingdom Spring
Coronation this April 29th. The feast hall must needs be
served in the disguised cafeteria of a metro-Detroit
highschool. The spacing of major posts in the room
actually seriously limits any practical arrangement
of feast goers beyond roughly 120 people, believe it
or not. We could manage more, but it would be ugly.
As it is, the below-the-salt feasters will have to be
the ones dealing with the posts (they are effectively
separated from the rest of the feasters by they, to
my dismay).

The true gem for this feast is the cooking facility, which,
oddly, is not the kitchen of the school. The actual kitchen
is really designed more for the regrettable fast-food
lifestyle prevalent in many highschools today. The
main appliances in the kitchen are a deep-fat fryer,
two pizza ovens, a pitifully small two-burner stove
(one burner doesn't work), a microwave of questionable
age, and something that might be a convection oven
(though I'm not sure because the dials were all so
worn I couldn't read the numbers or text).

Thankfully, I will only be using the walk-in fridge in
this kitchen. The true gem of the school is the home
economics classroom which contains:

- - 6 oven/stovetop combinations (all operational)
- - two additional dual oven and stoves
- - 6 sinks and counter tops
- - two refridgerators
- - numerous long tables
- - a kitchen-aid mixer
- - plenty of cupboards I didn't look in

Off the feast hall, there is also the serving line
thru which students typically file to obtain their
lunches at school. The gems in this area are:

- - a combination multiple-tray steam table
and freezer (ice cream and hot foods all at once!)
- - a proofing oven (a warmer, ala Subway)
- - a large ice machine

After cooking feasts on a hot plate in a closet,
this is a virtual paradise. Let's pray that the
stoves and ovens still work when I get there. :)

Jasmine
iasmin de cordoba, gwalli at infoengine.com