SC - feast catapults

Par Leijonhufvud parlei at algonet.se
Wed Apr 19 23:48:10 PDT 2000

I think you hit on one big peeve of mine.  A key point to making food
appitizing is making it recognizable.  How many feasts/wedding receptions
have you been to with unidentifiable sandwiches, pastes etc.  If nothing
else make sure whoever is serving your tables has a basic understanding of
what is in each dish.

Color can be added with the use of purees and simple sauces.  PLEASE plate
or serve these seperatly or under the food.  Only the french need to drown
thier entrees to hide their lack of cullinary skill.  Pansies and other
edible flowers are a great accessory but can be overdone.  Many spices and
vegitables are as important for thier color as for thier flavor.

Symetry can go a long way toward making a dish more appealling.  Design in a
dish demonstrates you care about every detail.  You didn't throw this dish
together so it shouldn't look like a pile of food.  We spend days putting a
feast together and plate the dish in under a minute sometimes.

Be aware of the odors sneaking into your dishes.  Refrigerators and freezers
can add a fishy smell to that cheesecake if you're not carefull.  We have a
sense of smell to keep from poisoning ourselves.  It can work against us.