SC - Dangers of pressure cookers

Diana L Skaggs upsxdls at okstate.edu
Thu Apr 20 08:10:33 PDT 2000

    Dunno about OUR period, in europe, but as I recall, Pliny the Elder
mentioned them as being an upper class Egyptian sweetmeat. It was originally
honey, flavored with an extract from the root of the marsh mallow (Athaea
officinalis) and then boiled & hardened.
    What we think of as modern marshmallows wasn't developed until way out
of period, in the early 1800s, and it was mallow root sap mixed with sugar,
whipped to a light consistency, and then molded. Puffed marshmallows (which
I don't think actually has any mallow in it anymore) is a 20th century
product.

    Sieggy