food and appearance...was Re: SC - quick important note

catwho@bellsouth.net catwho at bellsouth.net
Thu Apr 20 12:47:31 PDT 2000

I knew that turnips and carrots sounded familiar. So I dug through my
recipe sites and came up with this one;

Rapes in Potage

[or Carrots or Parsnips]

Curye on Inglysch p. 99 (Forme of Cury no. 7)

Take rapus and make hem clene, and waissh hem clene; quarter hem;
perboile hem, take hem vp. Cast hem in a gode broth and see+ hem;
mynce oynouns and cast + erto safroun and salt, and messe it forth
with powdour douce. In the self wise make of pastunakes and
skyrwittes.

Note: rapes are turnips; pasternakes are either parsnips or carrots;
skirrets are, according to the OED, "a species of water parsnip,
formerly much cultivated in Europe for its esculent tubers." We have
never found them available in the market.

1 lb turnips, carrots, or parsnips
2 c chicken broth (canned, diluted)
1/2 lb onions
6 threads saffron
3/4 t salt
powder douce: 2 t sugar, 3/8 t cinnamon, 3/8 t ginger

Wash, peel, and quarter turnips (or cut into eighths if they are
large), cover with boiling water and parboil for 15 minutes. If you
are using carrots or parsnips, clean them and cut them up into large
bite-sized pieces and parboil 10 minutes. Mince onions. Drain turnips,
carrots, or parsnips, and put them with onions and chicken broth in a
pot and bring to a boil. Crush saffron into about 1 t of the broth and
add seasonings to potage. Cook another 15-20 minutes, until turnips or
carrots are soft to a fork and some of the liquid is boiled down.
Melbrigda
There was som deceptyon or frawdulent
induction that hath made her to condescende
therunto

Visit my website at http://milkmama.tripod.com/sca.html