SC - A new project....

James F. Johnson seumas at mind.net
Thu Apr 20 19:27:24 PDT 2000

I have a new cooking project, so to speak.

A friend (and squire to one of 'Lainie's dearest friends) has asked me
to come up with appropriate 'finger food' the eve before his being
Pel'd. He's a tenth century Icelander, which makes documentable dishes
and recipes practicably nil. On top of that, some, but not all, of his
guests will be vegan. He made the request to at least avoid a
preponderance of fish dishes.

What I have to work with so far is archaeological remains from sites
(lists of foods eaten, but not how they were prepared) and traditional
Icelandic and Norwegian foods with little idea on how far back those
traditions extend.

I'd welcome recommendations and personal opinions on dishes that _might_
have been served in the tenth and eleventh centuries up north. Lacking
any substantial proof at this time, I'd settle for possible, probable,
likely, and not incongruous dishes. Authentication is not a _primary_
goal here, but if it's there, I'd love it more.
I'm not out to win an A&S cooking contest, just provide suitable
hospitality to a friend's guests.

Oh, Nanna......? :)

BTW, I have already perused the Icelandic and Norse regional food files
in Stefan's Florilegium.

Thanks

Seumas