SC - Dangers of pressure cookers

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Thu Apr 20 19:51:07 PDT 2000

In a message dated 4/20/00 2:31:46 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
kelan at mindspring.com writes:

<< I think you hit on one big peeve of mine.  A key point to making food
 appetizing is making it recognizable.>>

The actual style of much medieval cookery is the opposite. It is to make the
dish appear as unlike the main ingredient as is possible. Pastes, pates,
chopped and minced foods, foods made to look like something they are not are
mainstays in medieval cookery. Preserving the appearance of ingredients in
recognizable form is a modern innovation.

<< How many feasts/wedding receptions have you been to with unidentifiable
sandwiches, pastes etc.>>

Many, for which I am glad. The purpose behind medieval cookery was to
construct a homogenous flavor by combining many flavors unlike the modern
trend to preserve the integrity of each individual flavor.

 << If nothing else make sure whoever is serving your tables has a basic
understanding of what is in each dish.>>

I post ingredients lists and menus. If a guest is that concerned then they
need only to take a few minutes to read them.

<< PLEASE plate  or serve these separately or under the food. >>

Again, with notable exceptions this a modern innovation and, while good
advise for a modern cook using state of the art techniques in food service,
it has little relevance on the preparation and service of most medieval
dishes.

<< Only the French need to drown  their entrees to hide their lack of
culinary skill. >>

Hmmm...When I went to cooking school, I was taught that French and Chinese
cuisine were the best examples of advanced forms of cuisine. How quickly
things change in 30 years.

 <<Pansies and other edible flowers are a great accessory but can be
overdone.>>

True. Except in the case of salads where they are main ingredients.

 << Many spices and vegetables are as important for their color as for their
flavor.>>

True.

 <<Symmetry can go a long way toward making a dish more appealing.>>

Again true. However the medieval idea of symmetry was different from ours.
For example a modern person would think that  <O> would be correct but the
medieval mind would do it <O<.

 <<Design in a  dish demonstrates you care about every detail.  >>

True.

BTW, Simplicity of design was not a medieval asset. Ostentatiousness and
complexity was.

Ras