food and appearance...was Re: SC - quick important note

Michael Newton melcnewt at netins.net
Fri Apr 21 08:51:34 PDT 2000

> How many trips to the local ER are you willing to make as people start
> slipping and falling on the launched grapes and other food which will quickly
> become garbage?  AND  Are you willing to loose your eyesight when some lady
> comes to scratch your eyes out when her new brocade and velvet gown is ruined
> by launching of said food?

Phillipa S.

> <<  am toying with the idea of putting small catapults and bunches of grapes
>  out with the second remove at our feast of thirty event.  The current design
>  has a small pin that allows you to load grapes and melon balls but not more
>  messy items like soup or hummus.  Does anyone have any feast fight
>  experience?  I have volunteers to clean the hall and I don't expect to get
>  the catapults back, they are just to much fun.  The hall has a high ceiling
>  so we should be able to clear three tables in any direction.
>
>  Nykademus >>

I would like everyone to please read Nykademus' post again. There has been a
lot of concern about ruined garb and upset diners. In a typical feast situation
do feel that you are correct. But this appears to be something in the form of
entertainment where the diners are notified ahead of time this could happen.
Rather like going to a Gallagher show and sitting in the front row. You know
food is going to be thrown and you are prepared for the consequences.

If you notice, Nykdemus is a brand new poster and has not said anything since.
All of the posts have been kindly and nothing hurtful but continued negativism
instead of helpful advice can drive new members to the shadows. My advice is
to have fun with this idea but to make sure that the feasters know what they are

in for. You may want to have another feast elsewhere for those who do not wish
for such a diversion. The other danger, of course, is if people take these
catapults
home and use them at the next feast where diners are not expecting it.

But if throwing food is a common occurance at the feasts in your area then that
shouldn't be a problem.

Yers,

Gunthar