SC - Authenticity as A&S Entries

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 21 21:50:21 PDT 2000

> Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 19:47:57 -0500
> From: Mike  Young <uther at lcc.net>
> Subject: SC - daryoles
>
> I am playing with a recipe that calls for fresh broth...it is a kind of
> cream pie with strawberries.  Any ideas as to what kind of broth?
> thanks,
> gwyneth

In the Anglo-Norman recipe corpus, I'd guess the most common broths
specified would be "fresh broth of beef" or "of capons". In general,
these would be likely to be white bouillions/stocks made as a by-product
of boiling meats, not brown stocks made from roasted bones. You'd
probably want to use less water per pound of meat than the usual quart
per pound generally called for in modern stock recipes, on the
assumption you want to eat the meat you're boiling, rather than cooking
the meat to bone-dry rags and throwing it away. You might try perhaps
two quarts of water for a four-pound baking chicken (egad, a
substitution!!! this is somewhere between a roaster and a fowl) or piece
of beef. Start with cold water and simmer a chicken, depending on type,
between 30 and 90 minutes, or a piece of pot-roast type beef, such as
bottom round, chuck or brisket, for perhaps 2 hours. Cool your meat in
the broth, off the heat, for an hour or so, drain, skim and strain the
broth, or chill it overnight and lift off the fat that way.

If you find yourself using canned stock, your best bet would be one of
the low-sodium chicken stocks. Brown beef stock would probably be too
strongly flavored for a dariole or doucet, and would be a less likely
candidate, I think, for an accurately prepared dish.

Hope this helps...

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy