SC - Re: =20SC=20-=20German=20Sp=E4tzle?=

allilyn at juno.com allilyn at juno.com
Sat Apr 22 17:43:22 PDT 2000

>>What is a kloster.  a general pasta or a specific type?<<

Well, Frederich, it's a late-night glitch!  Meant to type 'klosse' .  The
double s is actually that special character.  It's a meat filled
dumpling.  According to one of my modern cook books, it always has meat,
but I'm not sure that is true.  I have a modern recipe for a
Serviettenkloss [dumpling cooked in a napkin] that has no meat, although
it does have parsley and onion, as well as the eggs and milk that hold
the bread crumbs together.  And nutmeg.  Can be called Serviettenknodel.

These are usually pretty big--you slice them.  There is also the knopfe,
sometimes made much the same way. Hefeknopf is a yeast dumpling.
Maultaschen is the German version of raviole--meat and spinach filled
pockets (ox-noses) in a clear broth.  There are lots of forms of cooked
dough: we like our carbs!

 Another of my books says that the eminent culinary historian, Thaddaus
Troll, also credits spaetzle to an Italian import in the 13th century.

Regards,
Allison,     allilyn at juno.com