SC - [Fwd: wild boar]

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Sun Apr 23 23:55:06 PDT 2000

Morgana asked:
> A nice basic sekanjabin recipe was recently posted, so I'll ask about
> something I've been looking for.  Now, mind you, the only reference I've
> seen was from the late 19th century.  It seems to be older and more
> importantly, it sounds tasty.
>
> It was a type of sekanjabin that used apple cider vinegar and ginger.  I
> don't know anything more about it aside from it was supposed to be good
> in the heat of summer and wouldn't cause cramping.

First Sekanjabin is only one of many similar drinks. After some discussion
on this list, I settled on the name jalab as the general name for this
type of drink. I seem to remember some period recipes for similar type
drinks that do include ginger. Even within sekanjabin you will find
variations that depend on different vinegars being used or honey vs.
sugar.

Check out this file in the BEVERAGES section of the Florilegium:
jalabs-msg        (48K) 12/ 2/99    Drinks with a sugar or honey-syrup
base such
                                       as Sekanjabin (Persian Mint Drink).

Master Cariadoc's redaction and the original recipe he used (actually
two recipes because of missing words int he original) in this file.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net