SC - Determining Laurel Doneness (Was: Cooking Laurels)

RANDALL DIAMOND ringofkings at mindspring.com
Mon Apr 24 05:23:20 PDT 2000

> I've had several converations with members in my area along the subject of
> cooking and its association with the Arts/Sciences.  One particular area
of
> interest is the making of a Laurel in Cooking.  What I'd like know is what
> were Laurels recognized for to receive their Peerage?  I've seen the
> discussion about a "Laurel's kitchen" versus a "Pelican's kitchen".  I
> assume the Laurel built their status through continued participation in
A&S
> compititions.  What kind of projects eventually led to being elevated to
> Laurel?  Is there particular documentation that should be used (i.e.
> original manuscripts, interpretations by researchers, "approved" list of
> sources, etc.)?

Robeard, your first wrong assumption is that Laurels are recognized only for
participation in A&S activities.  I know a number of Laurels -- from
tentmakers to cooks -- who rarely and never entered A&S competitions, but
were recognized for their skills in the field.

Generally, the cooking laurels show a tendency to use period sources; redact
their own recipes; adapt same to feed groups of different sizes; might do
period cooking while camping; usually teach (and not just classes, mostly
through workshops, kitchen workers, and so on); and could explain what was
going on and why to persons upon request.

A number of years ago, Mistress Aramanthra (in Northshield, a friend of
mine) was recognized in part for a Crown feast she did that was not only
completely period AND in the same timeframe (as opposed to random period
dishes chosen from various times and places), but where she prepared
everything from scratch to the point of growing some of the vegetables and
fruits to be sure she had the appropriate varieties.  AND she hand-tilled
the garden, AND used only non-chemical fertilizers and so on.  This was far
from her only achievement in the field, but it got a LOT of attention.

I don't do cooking with a view towards A&S or Laurel status, just a view
towards getting people to understand that period recipes do NOT taste
"icky."  And getting cooks to understand that they are NOT impossible to
prepare.  So I cannot help you more than that.

                                ---= Morgan