SC - Pennsic Cookery Classes

alysk@ix.netcom.com alysk at ix.netcom.com
Mon Apr 24 07:35:06 PDT 2000

Dental alginate takes such a good impression that when I used it to make
commedia masks last summer, the mold showed the pores from the actors'
faces.  If you pour it into a mold, you will get an *extremely* detailed
piece.  If you take a casting from it, you'll need to support it somehow,
since it is very wet, even when set, and prone to tearing.

For the peach pit, I would think pouring some alginate into a cup and then
pressing the pit into it would give a most swell mold.  The alginate mold,
however, won't last more than a day or so, since as it continues to dry
overnight, it also shrinks a lot.

Rose :)