SC - Easter dinner - lamb salad

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Mon Apr 24 09:36:04 PDT 2000

Hi,

For those looking to introduce people to lamb I discovered
a wonderful recipe on the Food Network the other day that
I prepared for an Easter pot luck dinner at a friend's house.
Basically it was a warm salad with mutton.

I chose lamb because it's hard to get mutton and also it
would be served to some people that may not like the
flavor.

I first ripped up a couple of baguettes and slowly toasted
them in olive oil for croutons.

Then I panfried the lamb cutlets in the remaining oil with
salt, pepper and a bit of garlic to medium rare. Once finished
I set these aside to rest and added about a third of the greens.
(I'd bought two bags of organic wild salad greens) to the
drippings and let them wilt a bit. When they had wilted I
added olive oil and balsamic vinegar to the pan and made a
quick vinegarette which I poured hot over the salad. I sliced
the lamb into thin strips and mixed it all together. Topped
with slices of parmesian cheese.

I set this out on the buffet and within an hour it was GONE!
And people were complaining there wasn't more. This may
be a way to introduce lamb into more people's palates. The
guy on the show fried up some boiled potatoes as a base for
the salad and added some kalamata olives and ate it as a
main course. He used mutton and I would also. The lamb
was a bit delicate for my taste.

The other things I brought was curried devilled eggs, a
homemade apple pie and fried chicken with a special spice
mixture of salt, pepper, garlic salt, sugar and paprika.

Yers,

Gunthar