SC - Chambord

DeeWolff@aol.com DeeWolff at aol.com
Mon Apr 24 11:34:13 PDT 2000

> I think it would have to have been a very desperate person to have
> eaten tripe, given the lack of internal parasite control.  Roundworms,
> tapeworm and several other species are VERY obvious in a slaughtered
animal  when the intestines are opened or cleaned.  I can't see anyone
willingly  using the host organs as a food source...eeewwwww! 8^)

> Was there a period formula for de-worming stock??  I know tobacco
> can be used for roundworms, but what was used before it became
available?

> Prydwen

	Yes, there are several herbs that were (and still are) used for removing
worms and parasites from children, adults, and livestock.  Garlic is
mentioned in Egyptian herbals (for numerous uses) for worms, Culpepper
recommends garlic for killing worms in children (amongst other things).
Sage is also said to kill intestinal worms, and there are numerous other
vermifuges (agents that destroy or expel intestinal worms, aka vermicide;
& antithelmintic).  New world plants, or at least modern preparations
that are used to great success with this include black walnut (old
world?), pumpkin seed, and pau d'arco.
	Christianna
	who is planning on a parasite cleanse soon - ooh, boy!