SC - Private

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Apr 24 20:02:22 PDT 2000

> Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 13:18:36 -0400
> From: Christine A Seelye-King <mermayde at juno.com>
> Subject: Re: SC - organ meats and anthelmintics??
>
> > I think it would have to have been a very desperate person to have
> > eaten tripe, given the lack of internal parasite control.  Roundworms,
> > tapeworm and several other species are VERY obvious in a slaughtered
> animal  when the intestines are opened or cleaned.  I can't see anyone
> willingly  using the host organs as a food source...eeewwwww! 8^)

Well, let's think about this a minute. On the one hand, we have the fact
that infestation is pretty darned obvious. On the other, the assumption
(which I have no problem with!) that nobody in their right mind would
eat infested host organs. On the [third?] still other hand, if
infestation is so obvious, which AFAIK, it is (I've only seen it in
fish), then would it not follow that organs obviously free of parasites
(since they're so visible) would be perfectly viable food?

> > Was there a period formula for de-worming stock??  I know tobacco
> > can be used for roundworms, but what was used before it became
> available?

As far as domestic livestock goes, I don't know, but Anthimus says,
interestingly enough, that bacon is good for nearly all ills, and that a
dose of raw bacon will expel "Stomach and gnawing worms". I wonder if
perhaps eating raw bacon became associated with the expulsion of worms
for another, simpler reason. Not that I necessarily believe that, but
it's an interesting thought, the possibility Anthimus has put the cart
before the hog...

> & antithelmintic).  New world plants, or at least modern preparations
> that are used to great success with this include black walnut (old
> world?),

New World.

>         Christianna
>         who is planning on a parasite cleanse soon - ooh, boy!

Gonna bring some raw bacon to the Capitol Dome??? You impetuous young
girl, you!

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy