SC - Beer

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Mon Apr 24 21:41:56 PDT 2000

Allison asked:
> Store had a sale on frozen pollock.  Bought a bag to try.  Anybody know
> what pollock is, how it's used, whether it was used in period, etc.?
> Looks like very thin fillets of white fish.  So flat, it may be related
> to flounder.  Don't know if it's salt or fresh water, but given the
> amount they had, it's probably salt water fish.

Hopefully someone else has provided better details, but if I remember
correctly pollock is a cheaper, white fish similar to cod. I also think
the name has been applied to various fish over time.

> Haven't tried a lot of the fish recipes, as fish is very expensive
> inland, and not as good as on the coast, so now I can try a few.  What
> are your favorites?  I don't need modern recipes--have those as well as
> the period sources.

You might want to look through this file for appropriate recipes:
fish-msg         (145K)  8/30/99    Medieval fish dishes. Fish in the SCA.

As it is not a strong tasting fish, I suspect it will work in a number
of recipes, although maybe not in place of salmon or other strongly
flavored fish.

This is a good reminder. I have a bag of fozen white fish in the freezer.
After I get back from vacation I ought to pull these out and the file
mentioned and see what I can do. hmm...
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net