SC - Chambord Recipes

CBlackwill@aol.com CBlackwill at aol.com
Tue Apr 25 01:19:34 PDT 2000

Okay Cooks...here's the recipe for "Balthazar's Periodoid Not from
Concentrate or Forme of Curye Pork Roast".

1 6 lb Pork Shoulder Roast
8 oz dried apricots
4 oz pitted dates (please feel free to use candied dates, if you like)
4 oz seedless raisins or currants (I prefer black currants, but have only
been able to find them once)
1/4 cup clover honey
3 oz slivered almonds
salt and pepper to taste (and please don't be afraid to use black pepper)

Method:
1. If using a bone-in roast, remove the bone while keeping the roast in one
piece.  Once the bone has been removed, butterfly the roast by making a
vertical cut on one end of the roast, stopping about 1/2 inch before you cut
through the bottom.  Cutting parallel with the table now, continue cutting
the roast and "unrolling" it until it is an even thickness.  Turn the roast
over, and season to taste with salt and pepper.  Set aside.

2.  To prepare the filling, roughly chop the apricots and dates (about pea
sized pieces work well), and mix them together with the raisins or currants,
the almonds and the honey.

3.  Turn the roast over again (so the seasoned side is down) and spread the
apricot/date mixture over the roast, covering all areas well.

4.  Begin rolling the roast up again tightly (jelly roll style), and tie with
butchers twine (or skewer with stripped rosemary branches).

5.  Place on a rack in a pan just large enough to hold the roast, and roast
at 350 degrees farenheit (sorry, I'm no good with conversion, folks...try
multiplying by 5/9ths or some such) for about 1 hour.  Check for doneness
(but please do not let this roast overcook).  Slice, serve, and enjoy.  The
sweetness of the fruit and honey meshes perfectly with the richness of the
pork.  I have done this with pork loin and tenderloin as well, and they are
equally good.

I enjoy serving this roast with plenty of Chapati, Jasmine rice, and pickles
of all kinds.

Hope someone enjoys this.  If you do, please let me know.  No need to credit
me for the recipe.  I don't get money for these things, anyway.

Balthazar of Blackmoor

Words are Trains for moving past what realy has no Name.