SC - A new project....

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Tue Apr 25 19:25:35 PDT 2000

Lady Katherine McGuire wrote:

>  I have a period recipe that uses bread and "dundee cake"  A oop mane for
>soaked fruit cake.

The name "Dundee cake" dates from the late 19th century. The genuine cake,
said to have evolved as a by-product of the marmalade industry of Dundee
sometime during 1850-1900, is not soaked, and it is not an ordinary fruit
cake, as it has no spices, only candied orange peel, and sultanas are the
only fruit. It is rich and golden and would indeed be very good for bread
pudding but I wonder what cake was originally used in the recipe.

Nanna