SC - Puck's favorite Asparagus- OOP

Kappler, MMC Richard A Richard.A.Kappler at SWOS.Navy.Mil
Wed Apr 26 06:51:45 PDT 2000

Well, it just so happens that asparagus is one of those things that my
mother always used to try to get me to eat and I flatly refused after trying
it the first time.  It was in that list of veggies that she liked to boil to
death along with broccoli, cauliflower and brussel sprouts.  To this day I
do not like boiled veggies, and refused for nigh on 38 years to even try
asparagus again.  One day not to long ago, however, I was coerced into
trying it again, can't quite remember how or why, I figure it had to involve
a woman... and I still hated it.  But she managed to convinced me to try it
one more time, roasted.  It was okay.  Then I played with the recipe and
loved it.  I now eat it once or twice a week when its available, and have
converted several other asparagus haters.  Here it is, hope you enjoy it:

PUCK'S ASPARAGUS
clean asparagus, thinner stalks are better, lay in a roasting pan, preheat
oven to 375 degrees F.  Drizzle olive oil over asparagus and lightly
sprinkle with coarse salt.  Roast for 8 minutes.  While roasting, prepare
thinly sliced cheese to cover (I have used Parmesan, Asiago, sharp cheddar,
all are quite tasty, but the absolute BEST is Fontinella!).  Remove
Asparagus from oven, put cheese over top, DO NOT SMOTHER!!! Use just a
little bit!!  Sprinkle with dried basil flakes and VERY LIGHTLY dust with
garlic powder.  Return to oven just long enough to melt cheese, remove from
oven, let rest a coupla minutes and serve.  Sometimes I will drizzle a
little bit of white wine at the same time I do the salt and olive oil.

Regards, Puck