SC - Cold Soup/Vegetables?

Siegfried Heydrich baronsig at peganet.com
Wed Apr 26 07:37:05 PDT 2000

It has been a long time since I had crowberry jam.  They do grow in Alaska
and the quick ref refers to them as being in the Northern Hemisphere, which
usually means they are also found in Europe and Asia.  The formal name is
Empetrum nigrum.

Bilberry is a synonym for blueberry and refers to edible members of the
genus Vaccinium.  Presumably, blueberry refers to V. cerymbosum (the
high-bush blueberry) in the U.S. and V. myrtillus in Eurasia.  The low-bush
blueberry is identified as V. augustfolium but no range is given.  These
species are also referred to as whortleberries.

Huckleberries are North American relatives of the blueberry in the genus
Gaylussacia.  The common huckleberry is G. baccata.

The quick ref suggests that whortleberry and huckleberry are derivations of
the term hurtleberry, which is now on my list of words to look up in the
OED.

Bear