SC - Practical Anthropology: Reducing Bones

grizly@mindspring.com grizly at mindspring.com
Fri Apr 28 05:54:26 PDT 2000

Welcome to all the new people who have joined recently.

Someone was asking about sources of unusual spices and other less-
common ingredients.  I see that several people have already identified
the mail-order spice places.  Depending on where you live, ethnic
grocery stores can be a wonderful source.  In my area, the Hispanic
grocery supplies me with dried fava beans and bottled sour orange juice.
 From the Chinese grocery, I can get almidon (wheat starch), canned
cooked fava beans, and galangal.  And the Pakistani/Indian stores
provide rosewater, pomegranate concentrate, cheap almonds, and
various dried fruits.  If you're shopping for spices, it helps to know the
botanical Latin name of the spice in question.  Otherwise, you may
sometimes find yourself staring at a bag of brown powder labelled in
Arabic or Chinese, and the only intelligible words, "Contents: ground
Eugenia caryophyllata".

Incidently, I wasn't paying much attention to the saffron discussion.  Is
$17/oz. considered a good price for Spanish saffron?

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
harper at idt.net