SC - Unsubscribe

RichSCA@aol.com RichSCA at aol.com
Fri Apr 28 06:17:08 PDT 2000

Greetings all!

When I have tried this (working for the same feast as Caitlin), I find that the wing tips go squishy really quickly.  That seems to fit with the hypothesis Ras floated about pourous bones beig easier to soften.  The vertebra go softer than the larger bones, which I attributed to their relative exposure to the vinegar.  Next seemed to be the wing bones with ribs and legs being nigh unaffected.  I am now experimenting with quail.  Not a logical substitution for squab, but it is testing the theory of smaller birds=smaller bones=more softening success.  First test had to be scrubbed due to contamination of the soaking liquid (dishwashing soap-go figure).  Next bird is in the liquid now, and will be providing info to post tomorrow, I hope. I'm hoping simply to extract the "crunch" if not completely softening.

Thanks for all the ideas and info so far.  It supports some hypotheses and gave new ones.  This may not be an overwhelming success at the end, but it will certainly be an experience (PS if you experiment with this, buy your vinegar by the 5 gallon pail.  It'll be cheaper).

niccolo

sca-cooks at ansteorra.org wrote:
> Caitlin,
I tried doing this, too, and had no luck getting the bones to jelly.
There's a recipe for the same process in another cuisine, either English or French.  Maybe Platina?  If you find how, I really want to know.  Did any of the small bones go to jelly?  IIRC, I practiced with chicken, and today's chickens probably have larger bones.
Regards,
Allison,     allilyn at juno.com