SC - Strawberry Quest

Varju@aol.com Varju at aol.com
Fri Apr 28 16:23:02 PDT 2000

And it came to pass on 27 Apr 00,, that Bethany Public Library wrote:

> Who has a period recipe for strawberries? Who has redacted recipes for
> strawberries?

> Please quote modern source including translator and
publisher/date/isbn
> and also original historical author/publisher/country-location/date.

Thomas Dawson, _The Good Huswifes Jewell_ (English, 1596)
Falconwood Press edition, 1988

To make a tarte of strawberries

Wash your Strawberries and put them into your Tarte, and season them
with sugar, cynamon and Ginger, and put a little red wine into them.

note: I don't remember where I got the redaction, but I made this tart for
a May Day event which was the first feast I ever cooked.  It was a baked
single-crust pie, piled high with ripe strawberries which had a wine-sugar-
spice syrup pour over them.  The  tarts were a hit and there were no
leftovers.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann