Subject: Re: SC - Welcome and sources of ingredients

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Apr 28 20:50:35 PDT 2000

> Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 15:33:00 EDT
> From: allilyn at juno.com
> Subject: SC - Re: Substitutions
>
> Galen was
> the physician whose writings were highly consulted on humoral theory.
> Haven't found a copy of him in English but probably haven't tried hard
> enough.
>
> Regards,
> Allison,     allilyn at juno.com

Andrew Boorde's 16th-century "Dietary of Helth" is dedicated to Galen,
and is largely derived from his stuff, I gather.

You might wanna look at the various Tacuina Sanitatis, too. They don't
seem to refer to humors as humors per se, but the foundation of moist
versus dry, warm versus cold in various degrees and combinations, is as
well displayed in there as anywhere. It only lacks the names for the
various humors, which, actually, many sources leave out.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com