SC - transporting ingredients

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Sat Apr 29 06:04:29 PDT 2000

In a message dated 4/29/2000 5:30:52 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
ddendy at silk.net writes:

<< The most usual solution would have been in pottery jars. These are usually
 known as apothecary jars -- most commonly they are in a majolica-type of
 ware, with blue or green decoration. The usual shape is fairly tall,
 narrower at top and bottom than in the middle, which has a concave curvature
 (sorry if the description isn't the clearest). And these jars would be
 closed not with corks (the use of cork for stoppers is very late, if I
 recall correctly), but with a piece of parchment tied down with a cord over
 the projecting lip of the top of the jar.  >>

Great info!  On the same subject, my husband has been wondering for some time
about wine containers - was wine stored only in casks, or in some sort of
bottle or jar, and how would these be sealed?

Brangwayna Morgan