SC - Re: Welcome to sca-cooks

Christi Rigby crigby at uswest.net
Sat Apr 29 18:05:44 PDT 2000

I<<  I thought that a quince was poisonous.  Are they a member of the
 nightshade family?
 If so, what cooking methods are necessary to render them edible?  Is it
 the seeds that are poisonous rather than the flesh?  >>

IIRC..we had a quince tree up the backyard when I was small.  My mother made
jelly from them.  That would have entailed peeling..coring and adding sugar
and probably pectin.  I know that they were inedible until cooked...too hard!
   I also had at one time, a mundane recipe for quince honey....you cut it up
fine and cooked it with a little water and sugar..and it made a wonderful
reddish gold syrup!

Etain