SC - Re:Balthazar's expresso cake

Donna Kepner Ford evfemia at mail.com
Sat Apr 29 22:33:06 PDT 2000

Greetings,

  I've found something odd that perhaps the list can explain to me.  From page
142 "Women, Production and Patriarchy in Late Medieval Cities" by Martha Howell

There is a table of "approximate wholesale values of leading spices inmported
into Cologne 1452-59"

with prices

Ingwer, pfeffer, melzzucker, brotzucker, kassuyn, lorbeer, kummel, zimt,
muskat, muskatbluten, reis, safran, datteln, nelken, mandeln

or

Ginger, pepper, sugar, sugar, sugar, bay, caraway, cinnamon, nutmeg, mace,
*rice*, saffron, dates, cloves, almonds.

Since when was rice become a spice?

- -M