SC -Don't Like Chocolate?!?

Joan Nicholson gryphon at carlsbadnm.com
Sat Apr 29 09:27:14 PDT 2000

Sorry ;-)
Last pennsic I decorated the white sals[hummus made with pounded walnuts
instead of chickpeas, more or less] with a double spiral of blue
poppyseeds and ground sumac, and edged the glop with parsley. No idea if
it is period, but it looked spiffy, nad i liked the extra zing of the
sumac.

I would think that you could slip it on top of hummus in place of the
nonperiod paprika...

I culd see it decorating the top of baklava, sort of like you sprinkle
lines of cinnamon on b'stilla, or even decorating b'stilla.

I would consider adding it any time you want a lemony/peppery zing in
the food, it would be great in ful mesdammes or anything with beans. It
would probably be good with a chicken tagine, lamb or even on fish....as
a garnish on a plate of fish dumplings in sauce?
margali

Some time back I asked if anyone knew what I could make with sumac,
other
than za'atar.  Just repeating the question, as I got no answer at that
stage...